Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Lately

Here's a midweek splurge:


I slow-cooked hot Italian elk sausages over cabbage and carrots (with the last of the Merlot). It sort of dried out the sausages, but I really just wanted that sweet and toasty vegetable taste. These were SUPER spicy. I've turned into even more of a wimp about spice since this whole Paleo thing (which I'm totally ok with).

However, I did decide to go FULL ON autoimmune protocol this week. I cleared out ALL possible spices (including black pepper!). I didn't throw them out, just removed them from the kitchen. I'm going to do this thing right for once and hope it makes a difference because taking dairy out? Turns out the effects have been pretty subtle. I haven't truly started yet, obviously. Hot Italian elk sausage doesn't fit the bill - I'm just trying to clear out my freezer for the half pig, so I figured I'd better get all the sausage out of the way. I also made broth before I really scoured the AIP spice list, so it has black pepper in it.

These were the main dishes of the long weekend. I made some pork breakfast sausages and vegetable dishes separately. This here is a liver pate:

It contained:
  • beef liver
  • 1 lone chicken liver
  • 1 lone chicken heart
  • garlic
  • onions
  • salt
  • Merlot (ok, maybe THIS was the last of it)
  • rosemary, thyme, sage
  • avocado (secret ingredient!)
  • broth
  • beef tallow
I'd never used avocado before, but I was looking to make it extra creamy. I'd also never really used broth before, I don't think, but my food processor is kind of crap, so it had to go in the blender (no one likes gritty liver pate). It was the BEST I'd ever made. It was more thick soup than pate, but it had a nice creamy fluff to it, and I don't like beef liver the best anyway, and I often use bacon fat, so that could be why.

Eaten warm and with a spoon!



This soup was kind of disastrous... Ok, that's an overstatement. I roasted two different kinds of winter squash the night before and then the next day blended it and roasted the chicken. As you can see, I have terrible spatial reasoning skills in the kitchen....


So that was the first problem. What you see is a combination of...
  • a lot of winter squash
  • cilantro, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, salt (and that's about it for AIP curry spices)
  • coconut milk



It actually just barely fit. And that was some delicious stuff, even cold!

Meanwhile I was roasting a chicken. Let's just say it's a good thing there's a gaping hole in my ceiling where the fire alarm should be. This is my second time trying to roast chicken in my apartment, and each time it just fills up with smoke. I stuck it out for almost an hour at 415* and since it was a pretty skinny bird, I thought that'd be ok. Turns out not. By an hour, it was still juicy pink and not cooked through. So after a quick call to my mom (I need to be told what's sanitary and what's not with meat... and even then, my family has fairly low standards), I put the chicken in a slow cooker, and put this winter squash puree over it. I wasn't thrilled about this. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but there's something about cooking cinnamon and turmeric that just... doesn't work. It never tastes as good on the other side. And so this happened here. What was my beautiful, delicious chilled soup turned into an ok-enough curry-like puree the next day. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it's just not... delicious. Let's just say it'll be a while before I go around buying whole chickens again... (or even parts, because then I just feel bad for the rest of the bird, and real farmers don't sell their parts for any kind of reasonable-to-me price).

That's it for now, but I do have a happy-rant from PChem this week coming up!


No comments:

Post a Comment