Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving I remained completely nut-free, which greatly helped with the holiday food hangover. As my mom raises chickens (and they eat organic soy-free feed at my urging), however, I did eat a lot of eggs and since raw milk is legal in NY, I also ate a lot of dairy. It took a few days to build up in my system, but now dealing with it back in class (and with finals), I regret it. Here's to a strict AIP Christmas!

GT's 'booch in my wine glass

A bacon-less and rosemary-full version (because I was lazy) of these biscuits

My signature side dish: roasted butternut squash, Brussel sprouts, apples, and bacon

The carved bird (my mom and I each roasted one and I stuffed mine with onions, lemon, and thyme)

I altered this recipe so much it's probably not even worth linking back to it, but this was my stuffing (I should've let it boil off a bit longer)

I also made this gravy BUT, in an unfortunate turn of events, I knew my mother had left out a mug full of melted pork fat (from some pulled pork she'd made), so while making this stuffing, I grabbed a mug half-full with translucent, light brown liquid inside and cooked my onions in it. Turns out it was green tea. The end result was still tasty, though. I also used anchovy paste instead of fish sauce and left out the tomato paste (because even if this was not an AIP-friendly weekend, nightshades are still a no-no). 

I also made my now infamous pumpkin marrow garlic soup... except I forgot the garlic. I basically have been making it every time I make broth with new marrow bones, so I'll post a recipe-type thing next time. 


Now this.... this beauty is this recipe, without the frosting. I am forever grateful to Mickey for coming up with this recipe. A pumpkin dessert that doesn't require eggs (because it's easy enough to leave off nut-crusts and use coconut milk)? I'm sold! I have several pieces in my freezer waiting for me to finish my exams and will probably make this for Christmas again. Now, I may have accidentally spilled some extra gelatin into the filling, and my brothers may have taunted me by seeing what they could stack on top of this pie without it sinking in or losing its form, but they can laugh! I'll go on to feel fabulous after eating this. 

For Christmas, I'll probably stick to things from this AIP recipe roundup

Happy holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment