Saturday, March 14, 2015

I am a genius!

WARNING: This recipe is not for the faint of heart. 


Up until last night, my go-to ice cream recipe was the Paleo Mom's olive oil ice cream. I've made it as is, with chocolate (amazing), and as a base for fruit flavors. Sometimes the fruit flavors worked and other times it was just too much olive oil. And sometimes I just wanted a true vanilla flavor. I have used avocado and avocado oil, but avocados also impart a flavor and the oil gets expensive. So how to make a truly dreamy creamy neutral ice cream?

Well, recently it came to me..... Butter!!!

What's the closest thing to cream that doesn't bother my lactose and casein intolerance? Butter. What's no different from fats like avocado or olive oil? Butter. What's cheaper than those fats? Butter. It seemed too good to be true. 

On the first night of spring break, I had a chance to give it a try. 

I started gently melting 2 sticks of non-salted of butter on the stove. 

I blended one can of TJ's coconut milk (it was low fat, but I'd prefer full fat), one cup of cooked cherries I had in the freezer, a quarter cup each of maple syrup and raw honey, a dash of salt, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, three tablespoons of non-gelling gelatin/collagen, and one tablespoon of l-glutamine powder.  If I'd had eggs, I would have added a few yolks. 

Once the butter was melted, I slowly poured that in the blended mixture with the blender on low. Then I put the blender in the fridge for a couple of hours. 

Later I put a half cup of water in a small saucepan and sprinkled three tablespoons of gelling gelatin on top. I walked away for about ten minutes (good time to clean the litterbox). I came back and gently heated the mixture until it was liquidy and the gelatin dissolved. 

While it was heating, I took the blender out from the fridge and readied it again. I took the gelatin mixture and poured it into the blender with the blender running on low. 

Then I set up my ice cream maker and turned it on. I poured the contents of the blender into the ice cream maker and went to put a bowl and glass storage container in the freezer (keeps it from melting as you serve). 

I went to my amazingly proliferative mint plant and got a small handful of leaves. After the ice cream thickened a bit, I tore all but two of the leaves and tossed them in the machine. 

Once it stopped churning, I started scooping. I started with the bowl I want to eat it out of first, then put it back in the freezer to get harder. I scooped the rest out to store and served mine with the extra mint. 

Creamy deliciousness ensued! The butter was a great fatty addition. I did end up with a film of cold fat on the spoon, but the texture of the ice cream is the closest I've gotten to the real deal using a little machine and a coconut milk base. 

Disclaimer: I take digestive enzymes when I eat this ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment