Sunday, March 22, 2015

Spring Break Eats

Leftover leg of lamb with raspberry vinaigrette, carrots roasted with maple syrup and ginger, and a sweet potato with orange garlic sauce and butter. I don't have a recipe because my mom had made it from scratch and it was sitting in the fridge, because life at my parents' house is good like that. 


Omelette with Asian-inspired mix of microgreens, smoked salmon, beets with balsamic, and roasted asparagus. 

Cooked chicken pulled off the carcass, a small handful of raisins, baby chard, and mayonnaise. 

A Huge Ass Salad with Asian microgreens, baby Swiss chard, some sprouts, spinach, carrots, and cucumbers with canned salmon and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Must be something about the longer days and not warmer temperatures that makes me crave big salads.

This is my second round of that dessert recipe I tried a week or two ago–the Meyer lemon fluff. This time, however, I turned it into blood orange chocolate! I doubled the recipe, but somehow it ended up less fluffy and more like a panna cotta. But it was still delicious.

In the past 2+ years, I can count on one (maybe two) hands how many times I've "paleo baked." No matter what, it doesn't make me feel good. That doesn't stop me from trying once and a while, and these sure did taste good. I used this cupcake recipe and for the frosting, I just mixed a package of unsalted Kerrygold butter, a half cup of honey, a teaspoon of vanilla, a half cup of coconut milk, and two tablespoons of chocolate. Not bad for winging it! 

On my last night at home, I made pork spareribs with carrots, yellow squash, and onions. This was quite a big meal, especially since I didn't photograph the purple sweet potato. 

On my last morning, I had a ham, asparagus, and spinach omelette with duck prosciutto on the side. Served with some hibiscus kombucha. 

Not too attractive but on my first night back in my apartment, I made spaghetti squash and topped it with smoked clams and had a side of cumin-roasted cauliflower. 

A super fast lunch after 4pm on Saturday was two grass-fed hotdogs, dill sauerkraut, and horseradish mustard. I've never really noticed nightshade spices in hotdogs to bother me (since I eat them only a few times a year), but this time they may be causing some pain. I'm not too sure. I also tried to trial white potatoes early in the week. They were twice-baked, organic, and peeled. Unfortunately, the next day, the dogs did something stupid while I was holding on to them, and my shoulder luxated. Who's to say it wouldn't have if I hadn't eaten the potatoes? Although I'm having a hard time remembering the last time that happened and it may actually have been before my diet upheaval. So there's a strike against white potatoes. It'll have to be a while before I try again, because my shoulder still doesn't feel right. 

Saturday was spent doing lots of cooking and not enough school work. For dinner, I made this tiny chicken with Niter Kebbeh Ghee. I also made braised endives, which I used to make a lot my senior year of college when I was very strictly low FODMAPs. I couldn't find that recipe again (it involved lemons and was kind of involved), but this time I found this recipe. 



Dinner is served.

And the batch cooking recommences.... Beef spareribs with lots of garlic, rosemary, and carrots. They got a little dry but I was trying to do too much with the one oven. 

Lots of cinnamon-y butternut squash with lard for breakfasts this week. 










A simple Sunday morning affair: pork jowl bacon cooked with spinach, topped with scrambled eggs cooked with herbs de Provence and garlic.



No comments:

Post a Comment